Effective Sept 2022
Nikon recognises and is committed to the proper management and protection of personal data, and will always strive to comply with the latest applicable data protection laws and regulations to ensure your personal data is protected and processed in a fair, transparent and lawful manner.
Nikon maintains this regional website from the Republic of Singapore and Nikon makes no representation that the content contained herein is appropriate or available for use in locations / jurisdictions where Nikon does not operate a business in. If you do not reside in Hong Kong, please note that the services provided via our website may not be intended for you. In such case, please access the appropriate website of other Nikon Group subsidiary based on your country /region of residence.
“personal data” means data or information relating to a living individual and can be used to identify that individual which may fall under any of the following items:
(1) Name, date of birth, or other descriptions etc. (meaning any and all matters (excluding codes by which alone the individual can be identified) stated, recorded or otherwise expressed using voice, movement or other methods in a document, drawing or electromagnetic record (meaning a record kept in an electromagnetic form (meaning an electronic, magnetic or other forms that cannot be recognised through the human senses))) whereby a specific individual can be identified (including those which can be readily collated with other information and thereby identify a specific individual);
(2) Data or information that contains codes by which alone the individual can be identified (e.g., Identity card No., passport No. credit card No.).
“Nikon” refers to Nikon Hong Kong Ltd.
“We”, “our” or “us” means “Nikon” and/or “Nikon Group”, as the context so requires.
In line with the Nikon Group Privacy Protection Policy, personal data / information will be collected, used and/or disclosed by Nikon in the following manner:
1. What personal data does Nikon collect
When you use Nikon’s website, Nikon collects some or all of the following personal data, either directly from your own disclosure or through its website software:
- Any content, material, products and/or services which you purchased, licensed, subscribed to, provided, or otherwise viewed used, copied, downloaded or clicked on link to access;
- Your first and last name, contact number and an email address (which may be personal or business);
- Your acceptance (or otherwise) to receive any publications newsletters, updates or other material or media from Nikon or any of our providers;
- Your contact information, credit card details and other payment-related information to process online purchase from Nikon; and
We will only collect personal data that is adequate, relevant and limited to what is necessary for the purposes set out in section 2 below. As far as sensitive personal data is concerned (such as race, religion and other legally-recognised categories in your jurisdiction), such data is only collected (if any) with your explicit consent obtained beforehand.
If we need to verify your age and/or identity for any reason (for example, payment verification, fraud prevention, dispute resolution or to respond to a request or complaint) we may also ask you for identifiers (if required) for identifying or verifying you as a specific individual.
You can access your personal data at any time, ask us to update the data or information we hold or to delete it altogether. However, please note that the deletion of your data may affect or prevent us from rendering our services to you.
See Section 5 below for more details on your rights of access and correction to your personal data / information with Nikon.
2. How Nikon uses the personal data it collects from you
Nikon strives to give you the best customer and user experience possible. To do this Nikon collects personal data about you and users in the form of cookies to enable it to operate our website, keep it current, up-to-date, relevant to users’ needs and/or preferences, now and in the future as well (see Section 10) below.
By using this website and accessing the services provided by Nikon, you agree that Nikon may collect, use and/or disclose the personal data supplied by you or collected by Nikon from your use or purchase of Nikon’s goods, services and/or access or use of Nikon’s website for the following purposes:
- to provide products or services to and/or requested by the customer, including product sales, repair and inspection, after-sales service, and catalogue distribution;
- to enable response to customer requests, including customer inquiry/purchase/repair history (including the collection of customer inquiries for the purpose of improving our responsiveness);
- as a reference to determine customer requirements for products, planning, development, advertisement, sales, and service activities of Nikon. (This personal data will include answers to questionnaires given at the time of purchase, the customer satisfaction survey, and the customer's inquiry history);
- to provide updates on product information, company information, service information, and other related information of Nikon, e.g. the sending of a catalogue, new product information, books, magazines or a mail magazine;
- to notify a prize-winner or send a prize, or for the purpose of other communication with the person in question;
- to verify participants in exhibitions and seminars and to correspond with them after the event;
- to develop and maintain smooth relations with business partners and related entities;
- as a reference in the recruitment of an individual where the personal data is provided by an inquirer or an applicant to Nikon;
- to evaluate an application for Nikon Professional Services Hong Kong Membership;
- provided that it has been anonymised, to be processed and used/disclosed to third parties for statistical purposes/research;
- to send necessary documentation to shareholders including notification of the general meeting of shareholders, and to administer dividend payments or other actions as required by law;
- to communicate with you regarding any technical support, administrative or legal notices important to our website, content, material, products or services that we consider essential that you know, including any breach of security relating to your personal data;
- as may be required under applicable data protection laws and regulations; and
- to email registrants of the Nikon School course their registration confirmation and/or any changes to the course date, time, venue, etc. The information is also used to inform registrants about new Nikon School courses and to contact customers in cases of complaints received.
We may also contact you from time to time to ensure the personal data we have collected remains accurate and up-to-date.
If we intend to use the personal data we collect from you for purposes other than those which we originally collected your personal data for, we will obtain your consent prior to the new use unless it is not necessary for us or we are exempted from doing so under any applicable laws.
The personal data supplied by you or collected from you as a result of your access to or use of Nikon’s website may be transferred to and/or within Nikon Corporation and its subsidiaries (which includes Nikon) in different jurisdictions (collectively, the “Nikon Group”). Please also note that your personal data may be transferred to and stored with our service providers or data processors' facilities overseas. Your use or purchase of Nikon’s goods, services and/or access or use of Nikon’s website indicates your consent to such transfers.
You also warrant and represent that whenever personal data supplied by you to Nikon contains personal data belonging to another individual, you have, where necessary, obtained (and can produce upon request) the requisite consent(s) from that individual and notified the individual of its purpose, including but not limited to the consent of any identifiable individual (and consent of the identifiable individual’s parent/guardian if they are under 18 years of age) for the disclosure of their personal data / information.
3. Disclosure of Personal Data to Third Parties
As far as reasonably possible, personal data collected by Nikon shall not be disclosed to third parties outside of the Nikon Group except with your prior consent; or where authorised by relevant laws and regulations.
Your personal data will not be disclosed by us to any third party, unless we have your consent, or we are under a legal obligation or duty, to do so, except for disclosure to the following individuals or entities which you hereby agree to in order for us to carry out any of the purposes set out in section 2 above:
- other companies in the Nikon Group (including those in different jurisdictions);
- government authorities or regulators;
- our professional advisers, including without limitation our lawyers, accountants and auditors;
- our third-party service providers and sub-contractors (including those who provide payment, administrative or other services to us in connection with the operation of the website and/or of our business) or our data processors;
- credit reference or debt collection agency or similar provider of debt collection or credit information services to Nikon for the purpose of credit reporting, verification and risk management;
- any of Nikon’s actual or proposed assignees or transferees of Nikon’s rights during corporate merger, acquisitions, re-structuring, re-organization or similar events;
- entity you deal or transact with through Nikon’s services, e.g. online merchants, financial or banking institutions and other credit companies;
- any agent acting on our behalf; and
- our business alliance partners.
Nikon Group will ensure that the use of your personal data will be kept to what is adequate, relevant and limited to what is necessary for us to continually monitor and improve our services to our customers and to keep you informed about our products, services and other opportunities within Nikon.
In particular, we do not rent or sell your personal data to any third party (unless as part of the sale of our entire assets or sale of our business as a going concern).
If at any time you want us to stop collecting, using and/or disclosing your personal data with us, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org. However, please note that by doing so, this could hinder our ability to provide our services to you and may entitle us to terminate any agreement you may have with us.
4. How Nikon protects and manages your Personal Data
Nikon observes the Nikon Group Privacy Protection Policy and take steps to ensure the security of the personal data in its possession.
We wish to assure you that your personal data will be protected by high standards of security. Nikon will take all reasonable steps to keep secure any personal data we hold about you on secure servers.
Notwithstanding our best efforts to protect your personal data, the nature of the Internet is such that data transmission over the Internet can never be fully secure. Hence, Nikon cannot be responsible for events arising from unauthorised third parties gaining access to your personal data. It is solely your responsibility to maintain the secrecy of your user identities and password(s) at all times.
5. Your rights over your Personal Data
Whenever you provide personal data to Nikon (e.g. for registration or online purchase or otherwise), you warrant and represent that such personal data you have provided is accurate and authentic. However, Nikon understands that your personal data with us may need to be updated from time to time, whether at your request or at the initiative of Nikon in line with Nikon Group’s commitment towards the Coalition for Content Provenance and Authenticity.
Depending on where you are situated, and subject to any exceptions / exemptions under any applicable laws, you have the right to:
- access the personal data about you held by us to correct, update, restrict, anonymise, block or have us delete it (unless we are legally obliged to keep it);
- request that we send you a copy of the personal data we have collected about you;
- request that we transfer your personal data to another person, organisation or business of your choosing;
- acting in good faith, make a complaint by contacting us or the relevant authorities if you do not believe that we have handled your personal data correctly or have any other complaint.
If you have any of rights specified above and you wish to exercise such right, please send a written request to email@example.com, including proof of your identity (e.g. valid photo ID), specify the personal data which you wish to access or correct, including any account or reference numbers (where applicable).
Where applicable, your exercise of the right specified above may be subject to the payment of a reasonable fee for the administrative costs of complying with your request.
Nikon will generally respond to a reasonable request to review your personal data collected by us for the purpose of access or correcting of the same within a reasonable time (typically not more than 30 working days) and will inform you beforehand if a longer period of time is required. Please note however that Nikon is entitled to restrict access or correction to your personal data in circumstances which fall within the applicable legal exceptions/exemptions set out in the applicable laws and regulations.
6. Products and Services Information
You have the right to opt out of receiving information of our products and services. If you wish to do so, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a header that states ‘unsubscribe’, providing us with enough information to identify you (e.g. username, registration details) and specify the subscription(s) which you no longer wish to receive or participate in (e.g. a particular affiliate of Nikon). Please allow at least 7 working days for this request to be processed.
Please note that when you opt out of receiving certain products or services, it may affect or result in termination of the services provided by Nikon and/or the Nikon Group when such subscription / participation is regarded as a condition of providing such products and/or services.
7. Withdrawal of Consent
You may, at any time, withdraw your consent to our continued collection, use and disclosure of your personal data by sending an email to email@example.com. If you decide that you do not want Nikon to collect, use or to disclose your personal data to third parties, you understand that this may in some cases impact on the availability of services (such as warranties) and the quality of services that Nikon may provide to you and may mean that the services provided to you (if possible at all) by Nikon may not be customised for your use, may be less user-friendly and less efficient.
Further, in withdrawing your consent, you acknowledge and agree that if Nikon is no longer able to provide certain goods and/or services to you as a consequence, Nikon will be entitled to cease the provision of such goods and/or services to you without incurring any liability on our part.
8. Children below the age of 18
Nikon will not knowingly collect personal data from children (i.e. persons under 18 years old) without insisting that they seek prior parental consent if required by applicable law.
However, Nikon cannot verify the age of persons who access its website. Hence, if you are under 18 years old, please obtain consent from your parent or guardian before you access the Site and submit any personal data to us. Should a parent or guardian have reason to believe that a minor has provided Nikon with personal data without their prior consent, please contact us to ensure that Nikon may take steps to delete any such personal data and unsubscribe them from any promotional contact opportunities.
If Nikon discovers that it has inadvertently collected the personal data of a person under 18 years old without obtaining parental consent, Nikon will take steps to delete such personal data as soon as possible.
9. Links to Other Websites
10. "Cookies" - Information Stored Automatically on Your Computer
When you view this website, we may store some data on your computer in the form of a "cookie" to automatically recognise your personal computer the next time you visit. Cookies can help us in many ways, for example, by allowing us to tailor our website and services to better match your interests or to store your password to save you having to re-enter it each time. If you do not wish to receive cookies, please configure your Internet browser to erase all cookies from your computer's hard drive, block all cookies or to receive a warning before a cookie is stored. Your continued access or use of Nikon’s website indicates your consent to our use of such “cookies”, unless we are required at law to first obtain your consent before activating any of such “cookies”.
12. Contact us
13. Prevailing language