A look of iconic heritage for the versatile NIKKOR Z 40mm f/2 (SE)
Nikon announces the release of the compact and lightweight NIKKOR Z prime lens in a new design
TOKYO – The latest addition to the NIKKOR Z lens line-up, in complement to the Nikon Z fc, the NIKKOR Z 40mm f/2 (SE) prime lens has been announced by Nikon Corporation today.
The prime lens, compatible with mirrorless cameras of the Z mount, the renowned largest mount the industry for better light performance, inherits its design from the classic NIKKOR lenses released around the same time as the Nikon FM2 film SLR camera.
The design of the lens, with “(SE)” in its naming in reference to ‘Special Edition’, expands the choice of lenses to aesthetically match the equally distinctive design of the Z fc – unique and iconic. Weighing at approximately 170g and a total length of approximately 45.5mm, the versatile and compact lens delivers stunning expressions for both stills and videos.
The NIKKOR Z 40mm f/2 (SE)’s optical performance is the same as that of the NIKKOR Z 40mm f/2. Suited to a wide variety of scenes and subjects, including portraits, landscapes and snapshots, the standard angle of view offered by the lens’ focal length provides creators with an absolute ease to bring it along on any outing and travel. When used with an APS-C size/DX-format camera, the lens offers a mid-telephoto angle of view equivalent to that of a 60mm lens (in 35mm  format).
NIKKOR Z 40mm f/2 (SE) Primary features
- Beautiful round-shaped bokeh produced by a 9-blade iris diaphragm and accompanied by a bright maximum aperture of f/2
- For an angle of view that is neither too narrow nor too wide for portraits, the focal length becomes 60mm (equivalent to 35mm  format) when mounted on an APS-C size/DX-format camera.
- Compact and lightweight to carry along anytime with its total length of approximately 45.5mm and weight of approximately 170g.
- Great for food shots or any subjects to stand out three-dimensionally with large bokeh in the background from a minimum focus distance of 0.29m to get close to their subjects.
- Fast and accurate autofocus with quiet operational sounds, while maintaining a compact body size, from the adoption of a stepping motor (STM).
- Designed with consideration of dust- and drip-resistant performance*.
- Functions such as aperture and exposure compensation can be assigned to the control ring.
- Designed with consideration for video recording, including vlogs and streaming, with a quiet operation, effective focus-breathing control, and stable exposure.
* Thorough dust- and drip-resistance is not guaranteed under all conditions or in all situations.
For more information on the new NIKKOR Z 40mm f/2 (SE) and other Nikon products, please visit https://www.nikon.com.hk/en/